I started right away! Same day I bought the stand and app!
The app is pretty cool. Clean, large pictures, everything looks tasty, some videos (!), and baking tips (I need them).
For my first cookie, I wanted something I couldn’t fuck up. Something with just a few ingredients and nothing fancy. I’m not ready for frosting. I’m also not ready for any kind of chocolate dipping. Or powered sugar. I didn’t choose chocolate chip because I’ve ruined those before. I went with Flourless (good idea) Peanut-Chocolate Chip.
7 ingredients. Awesome. I can do this.
Here’s what they’re supposed to look like (app screenshot):
Yum, right? I’m feeling inspired. I can make this shit happen.
Some bowls for my ingredients, measuring spoons, measuring cups, my iPad and new accessories.
Slightly beaten egg, sugar, peanuts, chocolate chips, salt, baking soda, peanut butter. That’s 7, right?
Step 4: Mix in peanuts and chocolate chips (I forgot to take a picture)
I fucked something up. Why did I only get 17? Did I use enough peanut butter? I decided not to worry about it and just bake them.
Oh, I was supposed to put them on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. I didn’t have any so I thought, “I’ll just use wax paper. Same thing, right?” Kristina suggested Googling it.
A couple reasons not to substitute wax paper for parchment paper:
- If you use it in the oven, it smokes (I think the battery is dead in the smoke detector)
- Wax will melt and stick to food (OMG yum, crayon-flavored cookies!)
So, instead I used 1 pan with Pam For Baking spray and 1 pan with a Silpat. How will this affect the cookies? We’ll see.
They made it in. I feel successful already.
I have no clue why. Anyone know the purpose of rotating them? Please comment.
OMG THEY LOOK GOOD! I MIGHT NOT HAVE SCREWED THIS UP!
Kristina’s official review: “mmm”
The cookies on the Silpat turned out perfect. The ones on the sprayed sheet were a little extra brown on the bottom.
I did it! They’re good! 1 down, lots to go! I hope you’re proud, Mom. Seriously, I hope you read this.
What did I learn?
- It’s smart to Google something before deciding to try it.
- I need better lighting for photographing my food. I had a total of 5 lights in the room (including the 3 overhead).
- It takes longer to bake when you spend time photographing it. I don’t care.
- Next time, I’ll keep track of how long it takes from start to finish.
- How the hell do you wash a whisk? How annoying!